If you have been looking for courage to get yourself out of debt, try this meditation to help you find the courage to do so. This is not an easy one to do, but it can be very rewarding after a few months.
1. Gather your financial records together.
2. Find a quiet space and if you like light a candle to help you focus.
3. Go through your records and add up how much you are in debt. This might be tough to do. If you are struggling, knowledge that you are anxious and very brave at the same time.
4. Say amount out loud and” I am (however much) in debt. Or initially if you are not able to bring yourself to go through your financial records, say "I would like to get out of debt and at this time I am not able to identify how much in debt I am."
Let this fact resonate in your consciousness. Check with yourself how do you feel saying that fact out loud. If you feel shame, anxiety, fear, just note it. How does your body feel when you say it out loud? Do you experience a feeling of tension or is your breathing constricted.
5. Now focus on generating a sense of compassion for your difficulties in controlling your spending. Commit to getting out of debt from this place of compassion. Ask your higher power to help you control your spending and give you the courage to seek professional help if you need it.
6. Sit in silence and ask your higher power for a word or a phrase containing wisdom and support that you might need in a moment of weakness. Once the word or a phrase comes to you, write it down and, to say it to yourself throughout the week at the times when you about to make another purchase.
7. End the meditation by thanking your higher power for the support and making a promise to your higher power that you will stop unnecessary spending and will commit to reducing the amount you owe every month by paying off some of the balance.
Practice this on a weekly basis until you get out of debt.
Katya Sivak, MA
Registered Clinical Counsellor